PLASTIC - HOW CAN WE REDUCE IT?


As a whole, we have become more and more aware of how important it is to save the planet and how if we don't change now, there's no going back. However, there are still many actions that individuals can take that'll do just that little bit extra.

Buying yourself a reusable straw is a great start but this doesn't automatically turn you into an environmentalist. Now, I'm not saying continue using plastic straws, but they only take up a small percentage of the ocean. We need to think deeper - but what can we do? 

I am by no means plastic-free but it is something that is on my mind every day and I am trying to do my bit to help the planet. What I have done so far:
  • I bought a bamboo toothbrush. We go through toothbrushes every few months so you can imagine how many stick around for thousands of years. I bought these from Amazon and you can get them in a pack of 2 or 8. They're great quality and you can use them longer than you would a plastic toothbrush. 
  • I use a tote bag when I go shopping. I can't believe how many people I still see purchasing a 10p bag every time they go to the supermarket when it would be much cheaper in the long run to just purchase a bag for life. I currently use Gymshark's Shopper Bag. However, if you'd like something vegan themed, my boyfriend sells tote bags and 5% of each month's profits go to an animal sanctuary. 
  • I have a metal water bottle that I take everywhere. My specific brand of choice is Chilly's but any will do. To have a water bottle that you can reuse is 100x better for the planet than continuously purchasing plastic bottles every time you're thirsty. You can get them in 3 sizes depending on what you want them for. They also sell reusable coffee cups which is also a great swap, however, I never take my coffee to go so I don't have a use for one at this moment in time. 
  • I take a metal straw with me every time I go out. As we have already mentioned, this is a popular one now but there's still not enough people doing it. Brilliantly, some restaurants and bars have decided to scrap the plastic straws and replace them with paper but a lot of people aren't happy with the fact they get soggy in the drink quickly. This is a decent enough excuse but instead of signing a petition to bring back plastic straws, purchasing your own would be less hassle for everyone. 

Apart from all the points mentioned, what else can you do to help?

I've only just begun my plastic-free journey and there's so much more I can do to help. These include: 

Menstrual cup 


This is one I am working towards getting, I just know that every brand is different in terms of how they feel. Think about this, every single pad and tampon that has ever been used still exist - gross right? Menstrual cups, on the other hand, can last years and only cost between £18-£25. If you're comfortable making the switch, do it. And did I mention there's no risk of getting toxic shock syndrome? 

Remove plastic packaging from your shopping


Now, this is not accessible to everyone and it's absolutely not accessible to me. But if you're able to, purchasing your groceries from a bulk store can help a whole bunch. Take your reusable containers, weigh out your produce, pay and leave. It's as simple as that, and you don't have to use any unnecessary plastic in the process. 

Portable cutlery


If you are someone who is always out and likes to purchase their food instead of meal prepping, purchasing portable cutlery is definitely going to reduce your plastic waste. From Amazon, you can purchase cutlery that stays in its own case that you can easily throw in your bag for those busy days. 

Produce bags



I couldn't think of something that annoys me as much as those little plastic bags in the fruit and veg section. They're not needed - the food was grown in the ground, they don't need to be wrapped up as long as you wash them when you're home. You can purchase reusable bags here.

Shampoo and shower bar 


On average, we wash our hair 2-3 times a week. So that's at least a bottle every two months. Lush is probably your best bet when it comes to going plastic-free with your shampoo and shower gel. Shampoo bars and naked shower gels last a long time and work perfectly to keep your body shiny clean. 

So there was my intake on how you can reduce your plastic. Please let me know if you have any more suggestions, I'd love to make as many switches as I can. 

Please leave a comment if you have any suggestions for future blog posts. I am also happy to answer any questions about veganism and/or fitness you may have.
đź’“ Phoebe xoxo  

**this post is NOT sponsored 

Comments

Popular Posts

Phoebe's books

Tell Me Everything
The First Day of Spring
So That Happened: A Memoir
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
They Both Die at the End
Never Fall for Your Fiancée
The Lucky Escape
Two Metres From You
Dating Dr. Dil
Lockdown on London Lane
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Me Before You
The Switch
Legendborn
The Road Trip
Book Lovers
How to Kill Your Family
You and Me on Vacation
A Not So Quiet Christmas


Phoebe Diana's favorite books »