What I have Learnt Lifting Weights as a Woman


Hello, it's me! Forgotten about me? How could you? So, I took a bit of a break from blogging to focus on myself and really push my work out there. I figured that if I really want to do this as a full-time thing, I have to make sure I am prioritising my blog as well, so here I am. Back and ready to feed you some information about lifting weights as a woman! If you like this post, please feel free to share it with your friends!

1. Lifting weights does not make you bulky 

All of these amazing women lift heavy weights. Do they look bulky?
In fact, it does the absolute opposite. During my time of lifting weights and practising progressive overload, I have watched my body shape in the exact way I want it to. Women cannot physically build massive amounts of muscle because of our lack of testosterone. These massive women you see on TV usually take steroids. I promise.

2. Men will stare at you 


There will be certain people that will wonder why you're in the weights section. You're a woman so you HAVE to be a cardio bunny! Um, no thanks. When I first started going to the gym in January, I went with my male friend - he would go to the weights and I would go straight to the treadmill. I can confidently say that if I had never discovered my love for weight lifting, I would've quit the gym a long time ago.

3. Crunches won't give you abs 


Abs are made in the kitchen - sorry! It doesn't matter how many ab exercises you do, if you're not eating right then you're not going to get abs. It's true that we all have abs, it's just that some of us have a layer of fat over them. Losing weight will reveal your abs!

4. Cardio isn't the most effective form of fat burning 


Although cardio is great, I'm not knocking it in the slightest, it's not the most effective form of burning fat. And quite honestly, it's boring. You can have a more fun filled workout with weights - there's just not a feeling like getting stronger! Or, if that's still not your thing, give HIIT a go.

5. Along with weight training, a calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight 


Slimming world, Skinny Tea, Herbalife - all of these things keep you within arm's length of a calorie deficit. I'm not saying they don't work, they do but only for the short term. Will you keep off the weight once you leave Slimming World or when you stop drinking your Skinny Tea? Probably not.

Sugar doesn't make you fat, fat doesn't make you fat, diet drinks don't make you fat. Eating more calories than you burn makes you fat. If you want to know more about what a calorie deficit is, let me know and I'll make a post about it!

And that concludes the main things I have learnt during my lifting journey. At the end of the day, we all have preferences, mine just happens to be lifting iron. If you prefer cardio, do cardio, and if you prefer not exercising at all, then don't do it. I'm not here to tell you what to do, but I am definitely here to break the stigma behind women lifting weights.

Please leave a comment if you have any suggestions for future blog posts. I am also happy to answer any questions about veganism and/or fitness you may have.
đź’“ Phoebe xoxo 

Comments

Popular Posts

Phoebe's books

Tell Me Everything
The First Day of Spring
So That Happened: A Memoir
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
They Both Die at the End
Never Fall for Your Fiancée
The Lucky Escape
Two Metres From You
Dating Dr. Dil
Lockdown on London Lane
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Me Before You
The Switch
Legendborn
The Road Trip
Book Lovers
How to Kill Your Family
You and Me on Vacation
A Not So Quiet Christmas


Phoebe Diana's favorite books »