Freelancing: How to Handle Quiet Months


It's been a while since I've sat down and done a personal post like this. My blog may be about lifestyle and veganism but I mostly write about veganism. So this is a little treat for you!

If you didn't know this about me - I'm a freelance blogger and article writer. No, I don't make any money from this blog. I do it for other people and I love it. And the one thing that held me back from starting my freelancing journey in the first place is knowing that I won't have the same amount of money each month. And I'm sure it's the same situation for a lot of other people who are just working in an average job so they have the same monthly payments.

It is true - you're not going to have the same amount of money every month. If your client decides that they don't need you for a few months, it's your responsibility to find more work. Or if you can, take up a hobby of some sort.

Develop your skills


Look into your work and figure out what skills you could work in to produce better work in the future. Udemy has great online courses that you can enjoy for the comfort of your own home! They also have amazing deals - I've seen courses that have been reduced from £120 to £14.99. What a steal!

Update your CV


I'm constantly changing workloads all the time and I always forget to update my CV when I get a new client. Take this time to go through it and check all information is correct. The more you showcase your talents, the more job opportunities you will get!

Check your rates


There's a possibility that your workload is small because your rates are no longer competitive. It won't necessarily mean you'll get new work, but increasing your rates will show potential clients that you have more skills and experiences than your competitors.

Guest blog


This is very important. Guest blogging is the reason I'm making an income today. When I first decided this is what I wanted to do, I emailed a whole bunch of websites offering free work so I could build up my portfolio. Get your name out there and who knows, you may just find yourself receiving offers from people who have seen your free work.

Take a holiday 


If you're able to, do it! There's not one freelancer I know of that doesn't work ridiculously hard that they never have time for themselves. Take a break, you deserve it! Even if it's a short weekend away.

Connect with others 


Send out emails, get your email out there! Send them your media kit, your CV. Ask them for coffee or a Skype call. Get your name out there!

Don't lose hope, things will get better and you'll get more clients! Just keep going. :)

Please leave a comment if you have any suggestions for future blog posts. I am also happy to answer any questions about veganism you may have.
đź’“ Phoebe xoxo 

Comments

Popular Posts

Phoebe's books

Tell Me Everything
The First Day of Spring
So That Happened: A Memoir
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
They Both Die at the End
Never Fall for Your Fiancée
The Lucky Escape
Two Metres From You
Dating Dr. Dil
Lockdown on London Lane
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Me Before You
The Switch
Legendborn
The Road Trip
Book Lovers
How to Kill Your Family
You and Me on Vacation
A Not So Quiet Christmas


Phoebe Diana's favorite books »